Who can participate as a mentee?
eMentoring provides Young Professional members (under the age of 36) an opportunity to gain industry insight and career guidance from an industry expert. University Student members have an opportunity to gain industry insight and academic direction from an experienced professional or a young professional.
How long is the commitment?
An eMentoring relationship is a one-year commitment communicating with your mentor (one or two times per month) by email, telephone, Skype or other forms of social media.
What is expected of a mentee?
- Take a proactive role in shaping the relationship.
- Communicate what you want from the mentoring relationship including your goals and aspirations.
- Be open and honest with your mentor about your strengths and weaknesses.
- Set aside time for the mentoring process and keep all scheduled appointments with your mentor.
- Put your time with your mentor to good use by planning topics ahead of the call.
- Respond to your mentor’s feedback in a timely manner.
- Professional experience
- Industry trends
- Advice for defining and reaching goals
- Job interview tips and resume reviews
- Tips for positioning and entering the job market
- Recommendations for additional education or development
- Academic guidance for students
- Supplemental tutoring with school projects, papers, and research
- Internships or job offers
- Technical consultancy
How are the matches made?
Both mentors and mentees begin the process by completing a profile. Registered mentees can search by a variety of criteria, such as area of expertise, type of company, gender preference, and country. The eMentoring system will display a list of available mentors who closely meet the mentees requirements. After carefully reviewing the mentor profiles, the mentee will submit a request to the mentor of his/her choice. The mentor will receive a notification via email with a link that will allow him/her to log in to the system to access the mentee’s profile. After reviewing the mentee’s profile, the mentor will be able to respond by accepting or rejecting the request.
If you have any additional questions please contact the eMentoring Administrator at: eMentor@spe.org